Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Vermont barnyard

Here is a series of shots of a painting I did this week. It is an 18 by 24 in oil on panel.

This is a long mornings work and it will get worked on in the studio before it is finished. I sometimes work things out completely in a monotone before I move into color and opaque paint. This time I worked outwards from the middle of the painting, extending my drawing outwards as I went. I lightly sketched things in with the edge of a #4 flat bristle and turpentine, sometimes adding a little Liquin. The canvas is untoned, it appears cool because I shot these on my easel as I worked. I am rethinking things that don't work as I go. Notice that the hay roll on the lower left above, disappears below. Because I am painting thinly and for the most part transparently, I can wipe things out with a paper towel and some of my mineral spirits.

I completely reworked the mountain on the right, bringing the line down into the house where I wanted your eye to go. I am deliberately keeping most of the action in a band across the middle of the painting and leaving the foreground snow as one large and spare shape.

Here I continue to expand outward from the middle adding the second barn and the house with the porch. I really enjoyed putting the light on the bases of those big maples. They had an orange glow that was really warm and looked great with all the snow. Below I have laid in the snow, mostly in white and my cobalt violet. I also am developing some warm notes in the distant mountain. I have also reestablished the hay rolls in a position I felt made a better design.

I am working at getting a rhythmic structure running through the painting. I am arranging the lines on the various items in the painting to set one another off and I have made of the snow one big shape.

Using yellow ocher and white and a little cad. yellow I establish the form in my snow by carving the lit planes into my middle tone I put down initially. I also build the swelling form of the snow the same way. Above I begin working out those big trees and the junk strewn around the barn.

Here is the panel the way it looked when I packed up for the day, at about 1:30. I started the painting at about 8:30 AM. Those spots in the sky are brushstrokes catching the light. I took this photograph of the painting while it was lying on the ground. I have attempted everything in the landscape. I probably won't need more information about the location. The finishing process will mostly be about making it look good, not adding detail.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting these progression blogs with photos, it's very helpful.

Btw, I started a blog finally and put a tree into a seascape, both events inspired by your work and dedication. Thanks.

Unknown said...

One of the best posts yet! (well, except for that Mary person) This is a mini-workshop, just watching the progression and reading your intentions as you go. thanks!

billspaintingmn said...

This is valued information, as is
all that you post.
I want to express my deepest appreciation.
You've given me information that would have taken years to obtain.
(If at all!)
You've helped me to feel bolder about painting, so I paint more.
Thanks Stape.
I was raised to be the class clown
so getting serious will be difficult.( but I think I can!)

barbara b. land of boz said...

Stapleton, Your post today was a wonderful way of showing your "minds Eye" process. Put it in. Move it here...and take it back out. Sometimes I feel that If I can abide by the rules, then everything can fall into place.
However it does'nt always work that way. I know I am new to the fine arts way. So I am willing to pay my dues. I will keep up my studies, and put in lots of hours painting.
Your post today was very helpful.
Thank You
barbara b.

Lisa McShane said...

It is really helpful to see the progression in photos and to read your words regarding the work. Thanks!

Unknown said...

You ARE a STUD! Or at least a good painter.

:v)

f

Stapleton Kearns said...

Michael:
Thank you. Was it a palm tree?
.....................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Deb:
It is a workshop, the Mary post was not. Although I presented the idea of birthing rabbits I gave no idea of how it might be done.
................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Bill:
You are in the clowns class now.
........Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Barbara,
Don't say rules, it upsets em. Call em suggestions.
................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Lisa:
Thank you.
.................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Frank:
I hope I am a good painter. I am too old to be a stud.I am into the curmudgeon stage.
.............Stape